By Dr. Arunesh Dutt Upadhyay , General Physician
Not feeling like going to work? The joints are paining and the nose seems to have a life of its own? A very common ailment during the winters or the monsoons, a running nose accompanied by body ache is not usually a very serious condition. It is often accompanied by coughing, sneezing and a sore throat.
Here are a few simple remedies to get back to your fit self:
- A Warm Bath: A warm bath is refreshing and therapeutic if you want to shake off that lethargic fleeing. Make sure the water is of the right degree before you get your feet wet.
- Antibiotics: Over the counter antibiotics can be used to treat cold that is caused by bacteria. It is advised to exercise caution regarding the dosage of the antibiotics.
- Staying Hydrated: This condition causes the body to lose water, hence it is recommended to keep yourself well hydrated. Try liquid diets such as chicken soup, which helps ease the movement of mucus and also gets rid of nasal congestion.
- Rest: It is important that you do not stress your body too much; proper rest is of utmost importance while dealing with the regular flu and its associated symptoms. Rest helps in boosting the immune system, one that can better fight the infections.
- Personal Hygiene: Maintaining personal hygiene becomes all the more essential when you have a cold. Wash your hands clean with antibiotic soaps and use tissues while sneezing.
- Vitamin Supplements: Vitamin supplements such as Zinc and Vitamin C can help in reducing inflammation in the body, that is a very common occurrence during a cold and mild fever.